Seasonal Grog and how to make lemonade

Discuss food and other gastronomic adventures ... plus grog of course ;)

Moderator: Seniors

oldfart
Clan Oracle
Clan Oracle

Seasonal Grog and how to make lemonade

Postby oldfart » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi guys,

I have mentioned elsewhere that I made Agrumino and some Limoncello - great Citrus based Italian Liqueurs.

I will put the recipes in here - you will need Vodka ..
(Courtesy of http://www.homedistiller.org)

Limoncello...
Zest of 6 x thick skinned lemons
1 x litre 50% abv Vodka
0.5 x litre distilled water
500 x gm sugar

Boil water and add sugar - mix well to fully dissolve the sugar.
Allow to cool.
Add this syrup to alcohol and lemon Zest.
Macerate for 10 x days.
Strain and discard lemon peel (zest).

Now Agrumino ...

Agrumino ...
Zest from 4 x Oranges
Zest from 2 x Lemons
Zest from 1 x Lime (or not)
1 small mandarine - quartered (I think you leave the peel on)
1 x litre Vodka 50% abv
0.5 x litre distilled water
500 gm sugar

Boil water add sugar stir until fully dissolved.
Allow to cool.
Add sugar syrup to other ingredients.
Macerate 10 x days.
Filter - discard mandarine and peel.

Notes:
The starting alcohol is 50% for both of these liqueurs - hard to get.
But really the alcohol and water added - means the final alcohol value is on 33%

This means that to use standard 40%abv Vodka - you have to add less water ...
the formula is
[initial volume] * (start abv%) / (final abv%) = [final volume]

i.e.
[initial volume] = (40%) / (33%) * 1000
[initial volume] = 1212 ml of 40% alcohol - say 1200 x ml Vodka
Water needed is = 500 - (212)
Water needed is = 288 ml (instead of 500 ml) - say 300 x ml

Good luck dissolving 500 x gm of sugar in 300 x ml of water - but stick with it!

Alternatively you can place the Vodka in the freezer and only the water will freeze - pour the higher % Vodka off - mmm bad idea unless you can accurately measure the alcohol content.

Anyway, that gets me to the point of why I started this thread ... how to make lemonade ...

As you can see, after making the liqueurs I was left with 8 x nude lemons and 4 x nude oranges and a barely scratched lime.

I hate wasting got food and so I squeezed the juice out of the oranges - into "orange juice". I then squeezed the lemon juice into a bottle - now I like lemons and lemon juice but - 0.5 x litres ... ?

So, I looked up "how to make lemonade" on google ... and found "vegetarian lemonade" - like wtf - is there carnivorous lemonade available as well ... 8O

So those lemons became lemonade ..

250 ml lemon juice (vegetarian)
250 ml boiling water (vegetarian)
250 gm sugar (vegetarian)
250 ml cold water (vegetarian)

Boil water and add sugar - stir until sugar is totally dissolved.
Add lemon juice and cold water.
Stir well.
Add Lemon slices (skipped that bit)

That stuff is lemon flavoured red-cordial i.e. a parent's hyperactive kids nightmare.

So into a glass I added a double shot of OldFart's White Lightning, 100 ml of lemon flavoured red-cordial lemonade and 100 ml of filtered water.

Well, I've been drinking those since 5:00 PM and I still have energy 8O

Fark - yes - I also made some "home made" Kahlua - this stuff is so nice my wife even drinks it - only needs 750 ml of 40% Vodka.

cheers
OldFart
0 x
Geriatrics generate methane!

Graffiti - Clifton Hill 1976
Living proof 2015

Dogrose
Senior Clan Member
Senior Clan Member

Postby Dogrose » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 am

Vegetarian lemonade....

must resist comment.....

Look Oldy this all sounds very inebriating, you are way ahead of me mate, all i did was make some ginger beer once, nice it was too.

My old mum used to distill on the farm when I was a kid, there were no additives it was all fruit moonshine, poteen as some call it. A clear spirit with amazing window cleansing properties, also paint stripping and reserve fuel for the lister waterpump. I remember the smells, like the fruit used to make it, she had peach, apricot, strawberry...the list goes on, it was always about a new flavour.

One weekend a guest, a man we all knew and indeed a friend of the family, had a half bottle and "lost his balance" whilst outide to micturate (take a piss) and was indecently violated by the pet goat Geronimo. Indeed more proof that plumbers crack is not only unsightly but also dangerous (though apparently appealing if you happend to be a goat)

I shall have to imbibe with a pipette or two whenever we should meet in person.

dog
0 x
Pay your Farking Subs!

BlisteringBarnacles
Senior Clan Member
Senior Clan Member

Postby BlisteringBarnacles » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 am

My inlaws make their Limoncello only with green lemons...using the same process you mention above. It gives a sharper lemon flavour

It is very cloudy greeny yellow and settles after a few months. I keep mine in the freezer and only drink it when it clears up into a magnificent yellow glow!

My family are big time ginger beer brewers...it would be very low alcohol but the flavour leaves the commercial crap for dead. I did buy some Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer last week which was a nice surprise that I will get again as the weather warms up

In the 80s some blokes made and marketed "Two Dogs" hard lemonade...havent seen it for years but it was a good drink on a hot day.

Have you tried soda water and vodka in your cordial...just to give it a fizz?...or if you have a soda syphon...bung it in there!mmmmmm
0 x
Bye Bye! See you next time! :byebye:

BigMike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BigMike » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:46 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Dogs

Apparently it came out in 1993 and was sold OS in 1995. :roll: I do remember it well.
0 x
GRAMMAR: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Dogrose
Senior Clan Member
Senior Clan Member

Postby Dogrose » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:31 am

BlisteringBarnacles wrote:I did buy some Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer last week which was a nice surprise that I will get again as the weather warms up

Loving the Crabbies....be careful though it sneaks up on you!
0 x
Pay your Farking Subs!

BlisteringBarnacles
Senior Clan Member
Senior Clan Member

Postby BlisteringBarnacles » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 am

I would love to hear of others recipes for lemonade which for some reason is an American standard.

Have a Meyer lemon tree which is a sweeter lemon due to a mix of orange and lemon history. Makes a nice lemon drink although I prefer Lisbon and Eureka for their more lemony flavours

And a trick to sweeten the juice is to use a sugar syrup vs crystalline sugar...so you eliminate dissolving issues and can sweeten to taste with immediate results
0 x

oldfart
Clan Oracle
Clan Oracle

Postby oldfart » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:40 am

BlisteringBarnacles wrote:My inlaws make their Limoncello only with green lemons...using the same process you mention above. It gives a sharper lemon flavour

It is very cloudy greeny yellow and settles after a few months. I keep mine in the freezer and only drink it when it clears up into a magnificent yellow glow!

I filter mine though a sieve, then an old cotton shirt and finally through a coffee paper filter (I think that's correct - I'll tell you again in a week).

BlisteringBarnacles wrote:My family are big time ginger beer brewers...it would be very low alcohol but the flavour leaves the commercial crap for dead. I did buy some Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer last week which was a nice surprise that I will get again as the weather warms up

In the 80s some blokes made and marketed "Two Dogs" hard lemonade...havent seen it for years but it was a good drink on a hot day.

Have you tried soda water and vodka in your cordial...just to give it a fizz?...or if you have a soda syphon...bung it in there!mmmmmm

I truly love (non alcoholic) ginger beer.

There is one my wife and I were talking about only a week or so ago - will now look it up on the net - I think it is "Port Echuca" Ginger Beer - it's something that reminds me of the Murray and Paddle Steamers ... 8O
Last edited by oldfart on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Geriatrics generate methane!

Graffiti - Clifton Hill 1976
Living proof 2015

BlisteringBarnacles
Senior Clan Member
Senior Clan Member

Postby BlisteringBarnacles » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:16 pm

I truly love (non alcoholic) ginger beer.

There is one my wife and I were talking about only a week or so ago - will now look it up on the net - I think it is "Port Echuca" Ginger Beer - it's something that reminds me of the Murry and Paddle Steamers ... 8O

That will be River Port beverages....weirdly only available in Victoria and WA

Mother in Law filters her limencello through muslin once then"demands" it must bottle age...so far i have discovered it is always safer to say "Yes dear!"...other than drinking it....you can drizzle over or soak pannetone in it......."AWESOME!"

Commercial ginger beers seem to be more ginger root based as opposed to home brew has a good smash of lemon as a balance to the ginger. My mother has a "ginger beer plant" which is a starter of yeast, ginger and sugar that sits on her cupboard fermenting. (very entertaining watching the sediments "explode" ) It gets fed each day with ginger and sugar and is then strained through a cloth each week to which lemon juice and water is used to dilute the brew before bottling The sediment is returned to the jar and fed again with the addition of water to to the jar. When she has too much ginger beer and no more bottles she takes the sediment and freezes it until she gets low and then restarts the plant
0 x

BlisteringBarnacles
Senior Clan Member
Senior Clan Member

Postby BlisteringBarnacles » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:26 am

Indian Style Lemon Cordial

Ingredients:

• 200ml water
• 400ml maple syrup
• 150ml lime juice
• 200ml lemon juice
• 1/2 tbs Freshly grated ginger
• 1/8 tsp Cayenne, optional

Method:

• Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
• Heat to boiling & simmer gently for a couple of minutes.
• Cool & store in bottles in the fridge.
• Mix with water to taste (about 1 part cordial to 5 parts water)

Heres a recipe from
http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWebPage=13636&idDetails=108
looks interesting...especially with the cayenne!
0 x

BlisteringBarnacles
Senior Clan Member
Senior Clan Member

Postby BlisteringBarnacles » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Here is an internal and proven anti-bacterial fighter which, when mixed with a decent shot of tequila or vodka, is a sure-fire success. Cheers!

Ingredients
Serves 6

6 cups water
1½ cups maple syrup
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
½ cup fresh lime juice
½ tbsp fresh ginger juice
1 small whole chilli

Method

Boil the water in a pan, then add the maple syrup. Switch off heat and pour in the lemon, lime and ginger juice (see ginger lemonade recipe) and the chilli pepper. Whisk mixture as it cools, then refrigerate.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/cuisine/drinks/recipe/spiced-lemonade-20111019-1m0v7.html#ixzz2A1YWT6ia
0 x

BlisteringBarnacles
Senior Clan Member
Senior Clan Member

Postby BlisteringBarnacles » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:57 pm

An old school recipe with a fabulous lemon hit.

Ingredients

2 lemons
8 sugar cubes
2 tbsp granulated white sugar
Water

Method

If using lemons bought in a store, pour boiling water over them to remove excess wax and pat dry before using.

Rub the skins of two lemons with the sugar cubes, using four cubes a lemon. To do this, rub the skin of the fruit with the cubes until the colour leaves the skin and has been absorbed by the sugar. The cubes will break down in the process.

Scrape them into a small bowl. Add two tablespoons of granulated white sugar and a splash of hot water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Squeeze the juice from the lemons, strain and add sugar mixture.

To serve, add one litre of cold water and stir well. Add more sugar to taste, if necessary.

Adapted from Eliza Acton's recipe for Excellent Portable Lemonade, Modern Cookery for Private Families, 1845.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/cuisine/drinks/recipe/rapsed-lemon-sherbet-20120425-1xkgo.html#ixzz2A1ZZR7tx
0 x

Return to “Victuals”