Is anyone interested in PHP, MySQL, Apache and HTTP ?

questions and answers

Moderator: Seniors

pockets
Follower

Postby pockets » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:24 pm

i have a netbook i revamped with ubuntu that i muck around with. trying to learn how to use linux and am constanty installing diferent distros on it.
0 x

BigMike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BigMike » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:28 pm

pockets wrote:i have a netbook i revamped with ubuntu that i muck around with. trying to learn how to use linux and am constanty installing diferent distros on it.

Thats the big issue with Linux at the moment. And every distro, despite being the same at their core, has its fanbois that'll say its the best thing since sliced bread and every other distro is shit.

Truth is, they are all brother and sister. So if you like one, stick to it and learn to roll your eyes at people who will say its shit. If you REALLY want to learn linux, work in an SSH (or perhaps telnet) terminal. Linux has a lot of visual tools that try to make Linux windowsy (programmed by people who hate windows...go figure).

My take on the major distros....

Ubuntu: Seems to want to be windows so hard. I have noticed that people who use Ubuntu, get into very bad habits, like typing 'sudo' every other command, rather than getting permissions right.

Fedora: OMG, FMD, this has gone downhill in a big way!!!! It seems the fundamental concept of Fedora is "If it aint broke, we will write something that replaces it (but leave the old way in, just disabled)". A real breading ground for cowboys. You never know what they are going to take out each release, its crazy! I once spend hours standing at a server trying to do an init command only to find out that its been replaced by some other shit in Fedora. I mean, init, FFS! (OK, it was more frustrating as this was the morning after demolishing 100 Litres of OldFarts home made Bourbon ... with my boss standing next to me ... and client next to her .... on a Saturday ... and did I mention the server room had no chairs!)

Mandriva: The easiest to pick up, I reckon, as they never change the design (just fix performance/bugs). I have taken stone age sites and just ported to a clean Mandriva install and they work first go. Always rumored to be going broke, but has been around for donkeys.

Also, avoid KDE4 like the plague...I don't understand why anyone would base a linux GUI on Vista FFS. Gnome is more lightweight and doesn't get in my way.
0 x
GRAMMAR: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

pockets
Follower

Postby pockets » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:20 pm

i keep playing with ubuntu or variations of it. i tryed some of the other ones but being a noob with linux, i found ubuntu very easy to begin on. i try to use the terminal as much as possible but find that i have to always keep google at the ready for things that should be simple. the file system is overly complecated to get my head around. i guess with a brute force aproch to it, it may sink in lol
0 x

pockets
Follower

Postby pockets » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:32 am

Anyone got any info on security for an apache server? how to prevent attacks and so fortg. Also how to secure the rest of my network against outsiders?

Pockets
0 x

oldfart
Clan Oracle
Clan Oracle

Postby oldfart » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:30 am

pockets wrote:Anyone got any info on security for an apache server? how to prevent attacks and so fortg. Also how to secure the rest of my network against outsiders?

Pockets

mmm I could probably send you a copy of my config ?
0 x
Geriatrics generate methane!

Graffiti - Clifton Hill 1976
Living proof 2015

pockets
Follower

Postby pockets » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:35 am

So its mainly just setting the correct permissions?
0 x

oldfart
Clan Oracle
Clan Oracle

Postby oldfart » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:59 am

pockets wrote:So its mainly just setting the correct permissions?

Look up info on :-
.htaccess
.ftaccess
.staccess

Also :-
httpd.conf

Code: Select all

#
# Each directory to which Apache has access can be configured with respect
# to which services and features are allowed and/or disabled in that
# directory (and its subdirectories).
#
# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
# features. 
#
<Directory>
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Satisfy all
</Directory>
0 x

Living proof 2015

MaysternO0b
Stalker

Postby MaysternO0b » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Is oldies Apache/Web Class still going. Finally worked out what I was doing wrong when hosting my Test Website/FTP (fkn wf.msc)

I know very basic html structure, the setup of Apache/IIS, basic SSL that is about all
0 x
This was Denis Hands speaking no correspondence will be taken into account

whatmee
Clan Member
Clan Member

Postby whatmee » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:38 am

these sites now dead ??
0 x
"Hey you!!!,
RESPECT OTHERS, AND THEY WILL RESPECT YOU."

oldfart
Clan Oracle
Clan Oracle

Postby oldfart » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:51 am

I don't think so.
0 x

Living proof 2015

Blitz55
Cockhead

Postby Blitz55 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:41 pm

I've really mastered html now and am going onto css but if you needed i would be glad to use my skills to help you to proceed on trying to finish want you want to do. I'm also going to be learning java this year as well.
0 x

Return to “PHP, MySQL, Apache and HTTP ”